Monday, June 13, 2011

Cloth Nappies in winter.

This will be my fourth winter using MCN, and winter is probably my least favourite time to be a MCN user.  The lack of sun is a drag and I get really tired of seeing all the laundry, not just nappies, all over my living room!!

I thought I'd share some of my Cloth Nappying in winter tips in case anyone else out there is finding it difficult.

I have found pocket nappies great for the colder weather.  The shells dry quite quickly regardless of the temperature and if you have a couple of extra inserts you can reuse the shell again while your other inserts are drying.  Mircrofibre inserts also dry really quickly which is handy on cold days.  The bamboo inserts in our Adventurer nappies are trifolds so they are only two layers when unfolded which means they will dry quicker than they would of if we had made them a rectangular shape with 6 layers.

If you have a dryer you can put your inserts in there to help dry them off quickly.  I do NOT recommend putting pocket shells or AIO nappies in the dryer as it can affect the PUL and elastic.

I don't have a dryer but we do have a wood heater.  I find the bamboo inserts, which generally take the longest to dry still only take a day or so when in front of the heater.  I know people with central heating have success with drying their nappies on a clothes horse  placed over the vent.

The fastest drying AIO I have used is the Pikapu, it has a microfibre inner so it can be dry within an hour in front of the heater.  I boost my Pikapu with a bamboo booster so if you had an extra booster to use while the first was drying you could easily reuse the nappy within the same day (depending on when you washed it of course).

I can never wait for the warmer days to come back so my nappies can get a dose of sun to help sanitise them!  


3 comments:

  1. I think when you are using a cloth nappies for your kid in winter, having a extra nappies is a good idea because cloth nappies takes time drying nappies during winter.
    Modern cloth nappies
    http://www.minkiebaby.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, this weekend is good for me, since this time i am reading this enormous informative article here at my home. la casa del pannolino

    ReplyDelete